Monday, January 01, 2007

Part 2 - After semester thoughts testimony

http://smyle83.blogspot.com/2006/10/mid-5th-semester-thoughts.html

I just got back my results for it not too long ago on Boxing Day. I got 4 ‘B+’s, and 1 ‘B’.

Am I grateful? Hell yeah. First things first. Thank You God for giving me these grades! I’ve been meaning to pull my CAP (GPA equivalent) back up to 3.5 minimum. And it was done. Truly, He is in control of all things and I’ve been blessed. I can’t be anymore happier that that. Period. I’m on track to a 2nd lower class honours again. :D Thank God for do-able final exam papers too.

With the results, 2 records hold. 1) My grades are still either a B+, B or a B- for the 5th consecutive semester. No ‘C’s, no ‘A’s either; 2) My CAP increased for the first time… finally after dropping for 3 consecutive times.

The Experimental module – This was a bit of an enigma. I’m grateful that I didn’t get anything lower than a B+, since all my lab reports, which accounted for 60% of the final grade, seemed to show that I was heading in that direction. I thought I aced the exam, rather I thought the exam was fairly do-able. However, I’ve got a friend who took this module with me. He said that he got fair grades for his lab reports and got an A+ in the end. Either he’s BS-ing me, or the results are rigged >_> <_<

Organometallics – Granted I was average, if not lower than, compared to the rest of the cohort during my mid-semester tests, getting B+ was actually a bonus in itself. The module turned out to be pretty much straight forward.

Organic Synthesis… - I thought I had screwed up this paper. I had left too many questions unanswered on my answer script to my liking. Honestly, I only had myself to blame since I didn’t practise enough for this paper. Concepts were simple, yet it’s one of those modules that will screw you over if one lacked practice. Very good lecturer too and friendly.

Structure of Materials – Bad n00b lecturer, didn’t think he completed the syllabus, little to test about. The exam was a comprehension paper. Most of the people that came out of the exam weren’t sure what they had written down in their scripts. My theory was since everyone didn’t know what they were doing, but I had somewhat of an idea, I’d probably get a B+. Wrong… end result B. I need to re-work that theory.

Thremodynamics – On one hand, I had a lot of background in the things that were covered, nothing too much to learn. On the other hand, a lot of math I had to pick up from scratch. Both balanced out and the end result was a B+. Not forgetting to mention that it was a module to score, or at least the lecturer made it that way. Excellent lecturer too.

I also tried a new revision method this time round. It was a more organized revision, re-writing down the key concepts for each module once again and it seems to be working, or at least it’s helping me improve my grades. I must remember to keep this up, to be responsible for the things I study.

(to be continued…)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ganbatte!