Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Mid 5th semester thoughts

Oops, suddenly realised how long I never update this already. Partially thanks to my brother, Silverfox :P. He said he'll never update his blog anymore. Oh well *shrugs*

Righty then... as usual I'm taking 5 modules. 3 Chemistry and 2 Material Science modules.

Advance Experts in Analy/ Phy Chemistry - A module by itself and in a nutshell, up to 8 possible hours in the laborotary just on a Monday.... literally 9-5. I know for somw people, thye would consider this module I'm doing as madness. But seriously, I don't mind doing this forever (like as a job in the future sort of thingy). The good thing is that that typically I would leave around 2pm latest, unless I screwed experiment was screwed up. The downside: I'm really not too fond of these 2 areas of chemistry... requires a different sort of BS-ing in the report writing. Also, this module has a final exam, nobody knows what stuff they'll test on. It's open book though, but nevertheless, the examiners can really test us on anything. Awesome~

Organometallics - Chemistry module with a lecturer from Hong Kong. He can make the most corniest of jokes. Stephen Chow (HK comedian) must have rubbed off him lots. It's relatively all right. Lots of reactions to remember for an inorganic chemistry module, but nevertheless still an inorganic module (read: module to practise BS-ing) :P

Organic Synthesis and Spectroscopy - Probably the only pure Chemistry module has focus on a favourite topic of mine in one part of the module - polymers. ^^ I've always wanted to study more about the stuff my toys are made of, and am happy to learn whatever that's being taught. Downside: the other part of the modules that just the same old stuff coming back to haunt me... enolate chemistry, a little bit of mechanisms, oxidation, reduction, NMR spectro etc

Introduction to Structure of Materials - Material Science module. This module is .......... I really don't know how to describe this module. The lecturer is just plain bad. Half the time, the students taking this module have no idea what in the world is going on. Nothing else much to say for this module, am doing it because it's a compulsory requirement for my minor. Just gotten my test back, and apparently, he marked it quite leniently. Got a 70/100. Average was a 79.something. So this module is one of those that hangs in the balance. *shrugs*

Thermodynamics and Phase Diagrams - the other Mat Sci module. Why wasn't this module offered before I took any of the physical chemistry modules? Argh!~ It makes learning physical chemistry so much more easier if the department actually took on his approach. Anyway, for me, this module is more like revision as I already know most of the concepts taught in this module. Just that I have to learn a bit more math to tackle the problem, no biggie on that. I catch up quick.... I think.

No comments: